Give this for Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is upon us once again. For many, this means treating someone special to with some romantic spoils. Your bank balance, however, also needs love and affection. Those bills still need to be paid and a lavish spending spree could leave you struggling to make ends meet. We’ve compiled a few tips to help you select the best Valentine’s Day gift and save money too.
Make a special meal at home
The costs of going out for dinner on Valentine’s Day needs to be compared to the cost of cooking a special meal in the comfort of your home. Not only will making a home-cooked meal save you money, but if you make the dinner together, it offers more bonding time. If this is an option you’re leaning more towards, also consider what you want on your menu, and this means knowing your partner really well to know what meal they would enjoy most.
Then, creating a beautiful table setting, or even romantic indoor picnic, is a great way of making the meal stand out from other weeknight dinners. And for ambiance, some DIY touches like unique personalized decorations (like printed pictures of your relationship journey) and scented candles will surely also make this a memorable gift.
Gift an experience
There are many ways to show someone you care without spending too much money and also not compromising on the quality of the gift. Think of it this way: spending money cannot compare to giving someone a day to remember. Below are some of the ideas that will go a long way in creating the ‘perfect Valentine’s Day gift’:
- Visit the places where special moments have happened during your relationship.
- Explore free or low-cost activities in your area like outdoor cinema’s or picnic areas with beautiful views.
- Enjoy nature together by taking a drive to explore surrounding spots for meals and tourist attractions.
Put your hands to work
Making something that has a significant meaning can be more romantic than expensive gifts. Get crafty by clipping flowers from your garden, make/write a card. That way, you’re saving money and adding a personal touch that your partner will undoubtedly never forget.
Visit Cute DIY Projects for gift ideas that won’t cost you much. Some of these ideas include:
- A jar of reasons why you love him
- Miniature Valentine's notebooks
- Homemade chocolate cupcakes
- Personalized photo frame
- Love letters
Know where to shop
Lastly, if saving money is a priority this Valentine’s Day, then you have to make sure you’re skipping the full-priced gifts. As the gets closer, you can expect more themed sales to pop up, and this is when you can search for some inexpensive gifts for him/her. Here are some we’ve already seen:
- Netflorist- South Africa's leading online florist and flower delivery site. NetFlorist enables you to send flowers, hampers and gifts anywhere in South Africa.
- Hyperli- Features promotions on the best things to do, see, eat, and buy in a variety of cities across South Africa.
Valentine’s Day gifting costs can add up to one big dent on your budget. But if you plan ahead and do your shopping ahead of time, you won’t have to compromise your gifts on the day. Alternatively, you could consider celebrating this special day the weekend after so that you can give your loved one the best Valentine’s Day without getting yourself into debt.